"...I am fully alive and flying with faith soaring above the clouds creating what will be from what is not yet and meeting God in me and all around me. I dance with the doubt so I can fly with the faith."
From "Dancing Into Doubt, Flying Into Faith" Diana Wilcox ⓒ 2010

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Magnify!

It has been a few months since I last posted, having allowed the business of seminary and work to consume me.  But thankfully Advent has a way of slowing us down, making us prepare, opening us up to the workings of the Spirit.

This is the time of anticipation and expectancy - of feeling "Adventy" (see my post from last year at this time).  In preparing for a sermon, I have been reading the Magnificat, Mary's joy filled response to the child in her womb.  




"And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, who has looked with favor on the lowliness of this servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is God’s name'" (Luke 1:46-49).


Imagine... "My soul magnifies..."




There are moments in our lives when we feel that we cannot possibly contain the joy, perhaps at the birth of a child, or at a wedding.  In fact, I recently attended the wedding of a friend from seminary, and a few of the toasts people made at the reception spoke of the physical changes in the groom that showed everyone who knew him that something had changed in his life.  He was magnifying his love for all the world to see.

Hopefully, we all have a chance to experience that type of feeling at least once in our lives.  And one thing we learn is that, in order to feel it, we have to be open to it.  We have to let go, and allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through us.  

Letting go - in the weeks before Christmas?  
     Seriously????  
              YES!  

We must "be" rather than "do."  It is a tall order at this time of year, I know.  So, for those with eyes glazed over from all that lies before them in the weeks to come (and I am including myself in this) - breathe.  Take a few minutes each day to sit quietly, mindfully, and in prayer.  Open your hearts to the workings of the Spirit that is alive all around you. 

And, may the blessings of this Advent season find a home in your heart, that the light of Christ may be kindled anew, and the Spirit may work in you, and through you, for all the world to see.
Peace,
Chaplain Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment